A cystoscopy is done by passing a lighted telescope through the urethra and into the bladder. The purpose of this procedure is to look at the interior of your bladder and urethra. It is performed by the urologist under local anesthetic with a Registered Nurse present.
The procedure and review take approximately 50 minutes. Please ensure to pay for 2 hours in the Health Sciences Parkade if you are scheduled to have this test. If you require any assistance, you must bring your care-giver to your appointment.
This test cannot be performed if you are pregnant.
For more information about Urodynamics,
Click HERE to download a printable PDF.
Please allow yourself enough time to get to the centre. If you are 15 minutes late, the nurse will not have enough time to do your test. Your test WILL BE CANCELLED and the clinic staff may reschedule your appointment.
- If you use a cane, crutches, walker or wheelchair and/or
if you NEED help with walking, dressing, undressing or transferring,
you MUST bring someone who can help you.
Your test WILL BE CANCELLED if you do not bring a caregiver or family / friend to help you.
- bring your Care Card or BC Services Card
- bring a list of all pill/ medications you are taking
- if you have difficulty with English, bring someone with you to help with translation. This person must have a good understanding of English. The translator is with you during your test.
- you must take a shower or bath the morning of your appointment
- If you have had a heart valve replacement or, recent joint replacement, contact your physician if you need antibiotics prior to the test.
- If you have an artificial urinary sphincter, you must inform your nurse and doctor prior to the test.
If you have already had a cystoscopy test done at the UBC Hospital – Bladder Care Centre, please click here for home instructions
-> General Home Instructions pdf
There is an 8 week referral wait list.
Please wait for the Bladder Care Centre clerk to contact you to book an appointment.
Due to high call volume, please do not call with regards to your referral prior to this time. We cannot book you ahead of other patients if you call us prior to the 8 week referral waiting-list. We will not return your calls about your wait-list status, or the length of your wait-time.